Assistant professor, École Normale Supérieure
ENS – Département de chimie
24 rue Lhomond, 75005 Paris
Phone: +33 144322460
- Since September 2018, Mathilde Lepoitevin is an assistant professor in Chemistry at Ecole Normale Superieure, in the Porous Materials Institute of Paris.
During her bachelor’s she began to work on proteins interaction with materials. Before finishing that degree, she was admitted to the Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion (MESC) Master with a scholarship. While working on her master’s thesis, she was granted a PhD fellowship by Montpellier University (Fr), under the supervision of Dr. Balme and Dr. Bechelany. Her PhD work consisted in developing and designing single solid state nanopores to mimic biological channels and to investigate either bio-macromolecules translocation or to functionalize the nanopore to mimic stimuli-dependent ion channels. During her PhD, she was the recipient of a travel grant from the “Chaire Total” for a short-term stay collaboration work with Dr. Dumee group at Deakin University (Australia).
In January 2017, she started working as a postdoctoral research fellow, at Brown University (Providence (RI), USA), under the guidance of Pr. D. Stein. There, she developed and demonstrated a new kind of ion source capable of efficiently transferring single amino acid ions from liquid into a mass spectrometer. Her results indicate a feasible path to single-molecule protein sequencing through a combination of a single-ion source and mass spectrometry.
She has co-authored 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals, and her work has been presented in 15 international conferences and 8 invited seminars. She has been the recipient of best PhD award from the “pole chimie Balard” in 2017.
Education and professional experience
- Since 2018, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, École Normale Supérieure, PSL University, Paris, France
- 2017 – 2018: Postdoctoral research associate, with Pr. D. Stein, Brown University, Department of Physics, Providence RI, USA
- 2013 – 2016: PhD with Dr. S. Balme & Dr. M. Bechelany, Institut Européen des Membranes, Université de Montpellier, France
- 2015: Visiting PhD Student, with Dr. L. Dumee, Deakin University, Institute for Frontier Materials, Waurn Ponds VIC, Australia
- 2011 – 2013: MSc Erasmus Mundus, Material for Energy Storage and Conversion
- Nanopore, Biosensor, Nano-electrochemistry, Material Science
Awards and distinctions
- You can also list the membership to professional organizations (SCF, e.g.)
Supervised students and post-doctorants
- Xin MA, Master Chemistry and Life Science, PSL, Nov. 2018 – Nov. 2022
- My-An TRAN, Magistère de Physico-Chimie Moléculaire, Université Paris-Saclay Feb. 2019 – July 2019
- Andrea FELLONI, M.S. in Nanostructured Materials Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, March 2019 – Feb 2020
- Bush, Joseph, William Maulbetsch, Mathilde Lepoitevin, Benjamin Wiener, Mirna Mihovilovic Skanata, Wooyoung Moon, Cole Pruitt, and Derek Stein. « The nanopore mass spectrometer. » Review of Scientific Instruments 88, no. 11 (2017): 113307
- Lepoitevin, Mathilde, Maguy Jaber, Régis Guégan, Jean-Marc Janot, Philippe Dejardin, Francois Henn, and Sébastien Balme. « BSA and lysozyme adsorption on homoionic montmorillonite: Influence of the interlayer cation. » Applied Clay Science 95 (2014): 396-402.
- Lepoitevin, Mathilde, Tianji Ma, Mikhael Bechelany, Jean-Marc Janot, and Sebastien Balme. « Functionalization of single solid state nanopores to mimic biological ion channels: A review. » Advances in colloid and interface science 250 (2017): 195-213.
- Lepoitevin, Mathilde, Gael Nguyen, Mikhael Bechelany, Emmanuel Balanzat, Jean-Marc Janot, and Sebastien Balme. « Combining a sensor and a pH-gated nanopore based on an avidin–biotin system. » Chemical Communications 51, no. 27 (2015): 5994-5997.
Development of a Mass Spectrometer for Sequencing Single Protein Molecules Article de journal
Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 2019.
Combining Light-Gated and pH-Responsive Nanopore Based on PEG-Spiropyran Functionalization Article de journal
Advanced Materials Interfaces, 5 (2), p. 1701051, 2018, ISSN: 2196-7350.
Impact of Polyelectrolyte Multilayers on the Ionic Current Rectification of Conical Nanopores Article de journal
Langmuir, 34 (11), p. 3405-3412, 2018, ISSN: 0743-7463.
Unexpected Ionic Transport Behavior in Hydrophobic and Uncharged Conical Nanopores Article de journal
Faraday discussions, 210 , p. 69-85, 2018, ISSN: 1364-5498.
The Nanopore Mass Spectrometer Article de journal
Review of Scientific Instruments, 88 (11), p. 113307, 2017, ISSN: 0034-6748.
Diffusion Dynamics of Latex Nanoparticles Coated with ssDNA across a Single Nanopore Article de journal
Soft matter, 13 (2), p. 496-502, 2017.
Discrimination of Polynucleotide Transport through a Highly Hydrophobic Uncharged Nanopore Article de journal
The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 121 (13), p. 7525-7532, 2017, ISSN: 1932-7447.
Structure and Antibacterial Activity Relationships of Native and Amyloid Fibril Lysozyme Loaded on Layered Double Hydroxide Article de journal
Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 157 , p. 10-17, 2017, ISSN: 0927-7765.
Functionalization of Single Solid State Nanopores to Mimic Biological Ion Channels: A Review Article de journal
Advances in colloid and interface science, 250 , p. 195-213, 2017, ISSN: 0001-8686.
Detection of Short ssDNA and dsDNA by Current-Voltage Measurements Using Conical Nanopores Coated with Al 2 O 3 by Atomic Layer Deposition Article de journal
Microchimica Acta, 183 (3), p. 1011-1017, 2016, ISSN: 0026-3672.
Nanopore as a Sensor Based on Avidin-Biotin System Article de journal
Biophysical Journal, 110 (3), p. 337a, 2016, ISSN: 0006-3495.
Fast and Reversible Functionalization of a Single Nanopore Based on Layer-by-Layer Polyelectrolyte Self-Assembly for Tuning Current Rectification and Designing Sensors Article de journal
RSC Advances, 6 (38), p. 32228-32233, 2016.
Investigation of Sodium Insertion–Extraction in Olivine Na x FePO 4 (0$łeq$ X$łeq$ 1) Using First-Principles Calculations Article de journal
Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18 (18), p. 13045-13051, 2016.
Biomimetic Solution against Dewetting in a Highly Hydrophobic Nanopore Article de journal
Soft matter, 12 (22), p. 4903-4911, 2016.
Non-Fluorescence Label Protein Sensing with Track-Etched Nanopore Decorated by Avidin/Biotin System Article de journal
Electrochimica Acta, 211 , p. 611-618, 2016, ISSN: 0013-4686.
Influence of Adsorption on Proteins and Amyloid Detection by Silicon Nitride Nanopore Article de journal
Langmuir, 32 (35), p. 8916-8925, 2016, ISSN: 0743-7463.
CONCEPTION D'UN NANOPORE UNIQUE POUR MIMER UN CANAL BIOLOGIQUE ET POUR LA DETECTION DE BIOMACROMOLECULES Article de journal
Combining a Sensor and a pH-Gated Nanopore Based on an Avidin–Biotin System Article de journal
Chemical Communications, 51 (27), p. 5994-5997, 2015.
Influence of Nanopore Surface Charge and Magnesium Ion on Polyadenosine Translocation Article de journal
Nanotechnology, 26 (14), p. 144001, 2015, ISSN: 0957-4484.
Gold Nanoparticles for the Bare-Eye Based and Spectrophotometric Detection of Proteins, Polynucleotides and DNA Article de journal
Microchimica Acta, 182 (5-6), p. 1223-1229, 2015, ISSN: 0026-3672.
Biological Channel Confinement in Nanostructured Nanopore Article de journal
Biophysical Journal, 108 (2), p. 484a, 2015, ISSN: 0006-3495.
Nanopore Functionalization for Biological Channel Mimicking Article de journal
Science Letters, 4 , p. 188, 2015.
BSA and Lysozyme Adsorption on Homoionic Montmorillonite: Influence of the Interlayer Cation Article de journal
Applied Clay Science, 95 , p. 396-402, 2014, ISSN: 0169-1317.
Influence of Nanopore Surface Charge on Polycytosine Translocation. Physics, Chemistry and Applications of Nanostructures: Proceedings of International Conference Nanomeeting 2015 Article de journal
Hybrid Biological/Artificial Nanopore Physics, Chemistry and Applications of Nanostructures: Proceedings of International Conference Nanomeeting 2015 Article de journal
Structure, Orientation and Stability of Lysozyme Confined in Layered Materials Article de journal
Soft Matter, 9 (11), p. 3188-3196, 2013.
Controlling Potassium Selectivity and Proton Blocking in a Hybrid Biological/Solid-State Polymer Nanoporous Membrane Article de journal
Nanoscale, 5 (9), p. 3961-3968, 2013.
Controlling Ionic Selectivity in Bio-Inspired Systems: Potassium Selectivity and Proton Blocking in Hybrid Biological/Solid-State Polymer Nanopore Membrane Article de journal
Nanoscale, 5 , p. 3961-3968, 2013.
Controlling Potassium Selectivity and Proton Blocking by Gramicidin A Confined inside Track-Etched Membrane Article de journal
Sodium Insertion-Extraction in the Olivine NaxFePO4 (0$łeq$ X$łeq$ 1) from First-Principles Calculations Article de journal